Quick and easy curry recipe for vegan students


Happy Vegan MoFo!

Before we go any further, I'm going to level with you. I'm knee deep in a fresh term of medical school, and I'm just about hanging on by my fingernails with all the revision, essays, exams, and studying, not to mention all the rest of life. So, alas, my adherence to the MoFo prompts is going to be vague at best. This MoFo, I'm going to be thinking (mainly) about student eats from simple recipes to vegan convenience food.

I mean, that's what I'm intending to do. I'll probably just be shoving up random posts in between shoving my nose in an anatomy atlas.

Here's my first MoFo post: a curry that's tastes way better than it really should for the level of effort it requires. If you're on a six-food elimination diet, serve this with rice and you're good to go.

Simple vegan curry for students 
Makes enough for 3 to 4 four students

Ingredients
One red or white onion
Two to three garlic cloves
Big chunk of ginger (anywhere between the size of your thumb and matchbox is fine
One chilli, deseeded and chopped
One tbsp of coriander seeds, ground in a mortar and pestle (or you can just use the equivalent amount of ground coriander)
Two tsp of cumin seeds, ground in a mortar and pestle (or you can just use the equivalent amount of  ground coriander)
One tsp of garam masala
Half a tsp of turmeric
One tin of chopped tomatoes
One small sweet potato, diced
One large carrot, diced
One can of black eyed beans, drained (you can substitute with any beans of your choice, even baked beans, if you like)
Sweetener to taste (I think a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses is just right, though any vegan sugar is absolutely grand)
One small courgette, diced
Couple of handfuls of beans (runner or green are fine) cut into 2cm lengths
Salt to taste


How you do it
Finely chop the onion, and fry in a saucepan in a little oil until cooked through and translucent.
While the onion's frying, chop up the garlic, chilli, and ginger, and blend to a paste with a hand blender. Add the coriander, cumin, garam masala, and turmeric and stir in.
Once the onion's cooked, add it to the paste, and blend again.
Pour a little more oil into the saucepan you took the onion out of, heat it for a few seconds, then pour in the paste, and cook for two minutes, stirring as you do.
Then add in the chopped tomatoes. Half-fill the empty tomato can with water, then add that in too.
Give it stir, then add in your sweet potato, beans, sweetener and carrot. Turn the heat up, until the curry begins to bubble fiercely.
Once it's got to that stage, turn the curry down to a simmer and leave it for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I usually make this while I'm revising, because it doesn't take a whole lot of attention after the first five minutes. You just need to look up every couple of minutes and stir it.)
Add the courgettes in, let simmer for another 7 minutes ish, then add in the green beans, and leave to simmer for about 3 minutes.
Test the curry at this point to see if all the vegetables are cooked to your liking. If they're still a bit hard for you, you can leave it to simmer for a while.
Serve with rice or vegan chapatis.


Comments

  1. love a good basic curry - and they are excellent exam food - good luck with mofo and assessments - sounds like busy times

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're going to be busy! Good luck! It's a really great theme, and the recipes will be really useful even if you don't manage to post every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! And good luck in the new term! I'm impressed your taking on med school and MoFo. I've been looking forward to your Vegan MoFo posts this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite kind of curry - quick and easy. At least you're attempting MoFo, I gave up after doing it one year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah you busy bee, this is my kind of food and food you can make in build and stock up in the fridge and freezer. I love the addition of blackstrap molasses, so interesting - i will have to try that. Look forward to your blog posts, student or not we could all do with some quick and easy curry recipes up our sleeve. Good luck with your studies too

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm amazed you're managing MoFo at all amongst your other commitments. I'm no longer a student but this still looks great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, good luck with all the study and exams and such! Good on you for even participating in MoFo! Awesome effort. And who doesn't love a nice simple curry? Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was a student, I was lucky to eat anything, let alone a nice curry that required a mortar and pestle! You must have super powers. :D I'm looking forward to seeing your recipes for easy to prepare foods — my favorite kind. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts